Is Exposed Insulation Dangerous?
Exposed insulation might not seem like a pressing concern to most homeowners, but there are several safety risks if this problem goes untreated. It’s important to be able to recognize how exposed insulation can negatively impact your home’s safety and comfort and understand what steps to take if you encounter exposed insulation in your home.
In this blog, the experts at Momper Insulation discuss the potential dangers of exposed insulation and the importance of understanding these risks, providing valuable insights about how to approach this issue if you encounter it on your property.
Understanding the Safety Risks of Uncovered or Exposed Insulation
When insulation becomes exposed — particularly fiberglass insulation — it can pose serious safety risks to homeowners. Fiberglass insulation is comprised of tiny glass fibers designed to trap heat and improve energy efficiency.
These particles can pose various health and safety risks when exposed. Inhaling or making direct contact with these materials can lead to many issues, including:
- Skin irritation: Itching, redness and skin irritation are all common reactions to coming into direct contact with exposed fiberglass insulation.
- Eye irritation: Fiberglass particles can become trapped in your eyes, leading to redness, itching and general discomfort.
- Respiratory issues: Inhaling fiberglass dust or fibers can result in coughing, wheezing and other respiratory discomfort, particularly for those with pre-existing respiratory problems.
- Allergic reactions: In some cases, you may have an allergic reaction to exposed insulation, such as sneezing, congestion or skin rashes.
Exposure to insulation can cause immediate distress and result in long-term health effects.
Chronic exposure to fiberglass and other insulation types can result in serious conditions such as lung fibrosis — the scarring of lung tissue. That’s why it’s critical to act quickly to address exposed insulation the moment you recognize it in your home.
What To Do About Exposed Insulation in Your Home
If you’ve noticed that your insulation has become exposed in your Fort Wayne-area home, there are several steps you can take while you wait for a professional insulation contractor to address the problem:
- Wear protective gear: Before handling any exposed insulation materials, wear the proper protective gear, including goggles, gloves and a mask to prevent inhalation and minimize exposure.
- Cover the area: Seal off any exposed insulation you find using plastic sheeting, boards, paneling, poly membrane sheeting or drywall if you have the skills and tools to do so.
- Ventilate the area: Minimize the concentration of fiberglass particles in the affected area by ensuring your property is well-ventilated to reduce the likelihood of inhalation.
While these temporary measures may help provide short-term relief, they’re not a substitute for professional service. For the best results, always trust your insulation repair or replacement needs with a knowledgeable contractor.
Expert Insulation Contractors in Fort Wayne, IN
If you’ve noticed exposed insulation affecting your Fort Wayne property, Momper Insulation offers the professional repairs and replacements you need to reduce your exposure risk. Our team will carefully assess the extent of your insulation damage, making the best recommendation for your property’s unique needs.
Using the highest quality materials, our highly trained insulation contractors will leave your home more energy-efficient and insulated while ensuring you remain free of unwanted health and safety risks.
Contact our team at 888-330-7543 (toll-free) to request insulation replacement in Fort Wayne, IN, today.